Welcome to Dean Bubley's blog covering the mobile, wireless and fixed/mobile convergence industry. As founder of Disruptive Analysis, I research, analyse and advise upon a broad spectrum of topics in these areas.
This blog will be a source of short comment pieces on announcements and underlying market trends in the cellular, WLAN and IP sectors. As the company name suggests, I specialise in looking for "failures of consensus" - either positive or negative.
Too many technologies, services, applications and platforms in the wireless industry are over-hyped or under-estimated. Often, a deeper and broader look, coupled with a little skepticism and (occasionally) a dose of cynicism, would highlight missed opportunities - or technical or commercial problems that could derail an otherwise competent business plan or forecast.
As a taster of things to come....
- UMA (unlicenced mobile access)
- Cellular operator IM
- Near-term massmarket WiMAX
- Free wireless VoIP
- Dual-mode WLAN/cellular phones
- Wireless presence
- "Seamless" roaming
- PBX/cellular integration
- Poor indoor performance of 3G, WiMAX and other services
- Novel in-building wireless coverage solutions
- "Single-mode" (non-cellular) VoWLAN phones
- Impact of VoIP on cellular pricing
- Upgrading cellular network backhaul
- Difficulty of integrating & testing new features on mobile handsets
- The impact of a lack of "email portability" on FMC business models
- The role of "service enabled" home gateways for FMC
I'll be fleshing these out over time - either on the back of announcements or events, or when I get a chance to air my general opinions & research findings.
I look forward to getting your comments and feedback.
Speaking Engagements & Private Workshops - Get Dean Bubley to present or chair your event
Need an experienced, provocative & influential telecoms keynote speaker, moderator/chair or workshop facilitator?
To see recent presentations, and discuss Dean Bubley's appearance at a specific event, click here